Defining "Paying Insurance" in Blackjack

Blackjack, also known as 21, is one of the most popular casino games that has captured the hearts of gamblers worldwide. While the main objective of the game is to beat the dealer's hand without exceeding 21, there are additional betting options available to players, one of which is insurance. Insurance is a side bet that provides players with an opportunity to protect their initial wager against the dealer having a blackjack. In this article, we will delve into the concept of insurance in blackjack, discussing when a customer can opt to pay for it and whether it's a sound strategy.

What is Insurance in Blackjack?

In a standard blackjack game, if the dealer's face-up card is an Ace, players have the option to make an insurance bet. The insurance bet is usually half the amount of the player's original bet and is placed separately on the table. This side bet is a wager on whether the dealer's hidden card (the hole card) will be a 10-value card (10, Jack, Queen, or King), resulting in a blackjack for the dealer.

When Can a Customer Pay Insurance?

A customer can pay for insurance in blackjack when the dealer's face-up card is an Ace. At this point, the dealer will pause and ask the players at the table if they want to take insurance. Players who wish to do so must place their insurance bet before the dealer checks for blackjack. It's essential to note that the insurance option is only available to players who have already placed their initial wager on the current hand.

The dealer will then check their hole card. If the dealer's hole card is a 10-value card, completing their blackjack, players who took insurance win the insurance bet at a payout rate of 2:1. This means they will receive double the amount of their insurance bet. However, if the dealer does not have a 10-value card in the hole, the insurance bet is lost, regardless of the outcome of the hand.

Is Paying Insurance a Good Strategy?

The insurance bet might seem tempting to some players, as it appears to offer protection against a dealer's blackjack. However, from a strategic standpoint, paying insurance is generally not recommended in the long run. The odds and probabilities involved in insurance betting work in favour of the casino, making it an unfavourable proposition for players.

The probability of the dealer having a 10-value card in the hole when showing an Ace is just under one-third (approximately 30.8%). On the other hand, the probability of the dealer not having a 10-value card in the hole is about two-thirds (approximately 69.2%). Therefore, statistically, it is more likely that the dealer does not have a blackjack, making the insurance bet a less favourable option.

Experienced blackjack players often avoid insurance bets because they understand that over time, these side bets can erode their bankroll. Instead, they focus on employing sound basic blackjack strategy, which involves making optimal decisions based on their own hand value and the dealer's upcard.


Insurance in blackjack is a side bet offered to players when the dealer shows an Ace. While it may seem like a way to protect against a dealer's blackjack, it is generally not a recommended strategy. The odds are stacked in favour of the casino, and in the long run, insurance bets can diminish a player's bankroll. To improve their chances of winning, players are better off focusing on employing basic blackjack strategy and understanding the game's dynamics. As with any casino game, playing responsibly and knowing when to walk away is essential for an enjoyable gambling experience.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful

Articles in this section